Pat Dow – is 75 years young and has participated in the TNHBR 8 years
How long have you been cycling and what got you into it?
– I have been cycling for 35 years. After years of running and completing the Maine and NYC marathons in 1984 I decided that too much running was not good for my body. At that time a few friends were into cycling. I started riding and really enjoyed it. I like long-distance riding. In 1990 I cycled across America from CA to Boston, MA.
What did / do you do for work?
– I retired in 2003 after 27 years at Raytheon as a Senior Software Engineer.
What is something that people from the ride might not know about you?
– 40 years ago I wrote a bucket list of things I wanted to do before I died.
- Ride my bike across America (1990, 3400 miles)
- Hike the Grand Canyon (1998, 2007)
- Run a marathon (ME – 1983, NYC – 1984, 1986)
- Parachute from an aircraft (1979)
- Take a white-water rafting trip in CO (1998)
- Walk on a glacier in Alaska (2001)
- Vacation in Australia (still need to do this)
- Ride in a hot-air balloon
- Complete an Outward Bound course in CO (1982)
- Own a Corvette (I guess my Mini Cooper will have to do)
In 1982, after completing the grueling Outward Bound course I was scheduled for a hot-air balloon ride in AZ which was unfortunately cancelled due to heavy winds.
What are 3 things you would like your profile to say?
– Thankful for a great life, good health, family and friends
– There are many bumps in the long journey of life, it’s how we handle them that counts
– We are not a perfect country but we are the best